Saturday, April 17, 2010

Very Frustrated!



About a month ago I called an educational psychologist and made an appointment to get my son officially evaluated for dyslexia.  I remember the  conversation very well, I asked if it would be covered on my insurance and the doctor wasn't sure, and asked me if I wanted to wait and find out first.  I said, "No, because even if its not covered my son needs to be tested, so I'll just set up the appointment now, and if insurance doesn't cover it I'll pay out of pocket."  From there the doctor proceeded to set up an appointment with me.  10:30 on April 16.

So yesterday I got up, got all my kids ready, and went to catch the 9:25 Ferry across Puget Sound to go to this doctors appointment, only to get there and find out that the doctor never put me in the appointment book.  I came all that way for nothing.

That might not seem that big a deal, but the Ferry tickets are not cheap.  It cost $11.85 on the way over, because passengers are free going that way and you only pay for car and driver.  The way back was a different story, the kids are $5.55 each so that came to $16.65, plus the cost of car and driver again which brings the return trip price to $28.50.  So the round trip to go over there and waste my time cost me $40.35.  On top of that, there was the gas driving around the city looking for an office that was very hard to find with the directions given me, stopping to get food at lunch time because we didn't have time to pack a lunch (we were concerned about "being late" for our vanishing appointment).



The doctor asked if I wanted to reschedule.  I said, "No, I'll find someone else."

So now I have to try to find another psychologist trained in diagnosing learning disabilities.  I may have to do another Ferry trip to get it done, and that is okay with me as long as they keep the appointment.  It certainly won't be at the same office though, if they aren't competent enough to write down the appointments they make, I don't think I want them being the ones to diagnose my son.



Since by the time we got home we had wasted our homeschool day, we decided to go to the park for a little while and let the kids play while my older daughter and I took photos.  Of all the ones I took, this is my favorite one.  The rest are posted HERE




 After all of that, we still had to drive into Bremerton, which is over 28 miles in the opposite direction of the Ferry, to get my daughter something to wear for the Homeschool High School Formal.  So I had a pretty busy day  yesterday, and a frustrating one at that.

*********************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment